Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Art of Breadmaking

Seriously, who doesn't love bread? It is one of my favorite things to eat & now make. It is easier to go to the store or bakery and buy a loaf of bread, but you never get that wonderful aroma of baking bread or the warm taste of a fresh slice of bread right out of the oven! (mmm may have to go get a slice right now!)

I grew up in Northern California and I always loved going to San Fran & ordering some of fresh Sourdough bread on the wharf. There is nothing quite like that whole experience. We have moved around a lot and some places you just can't find a good sourdough bread. Also a little side note to this is the "Southbeach" way of eating (as in no white flour) sourdough is acceptable! That was music to my ears when I read that.
Isn't this just beautiful!
Sourdough rising (starter in background)

My journey begins with finding a good recipe for sourdough bread. My first stop was the baking isle perusing the bread mixes. I do not own a bread machine and that is what most of those are for. Then I spotted it. . .'Krusteaz' makes a boxed sourdough bread kit! I just had to try it. The bread mound above is from that kit and it was delicious! I will recommend this as a good alternative if you are not into all it takes to make SD bread from scratch, but want some great bread. There is still rising time involved but it was pretty simple. Honestly, I am all about simple when life is busy.

Side note: Krusteaz makes quite a few mixes that I have really enjoyed. So far I have only found them at Walmart. You may have better luck where you are. www.krusteaz.com


Now for the adventurous spirit. . .sourdough is definitely an art! In researching recipes I found that in making sourdough you must have a 'starter'. The fermenting in the starter is what makes that wonderful tangy taste in sourdough. There are so many starter recipes out there, that I just had to choose one and start from there. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sourdough-starter-ii/detail.aspx

Beginning with this recipe and after reading more on the reviews/tips I modified it just a bit. I used whole wheat flour instead of regular flour, they recommended this as a better fermenting agent. So, get out your glass bowls, purchase a wooden spoon (unless you have one), and dig in. Note: when working with whole wheat flour more liquid is required, so be aware of that if your starter seems too thick add warm water a little at a time. It should resemble a pancake batter with lots of bubbles.  Keeping it in a warm place helps keep it going as well.

My starter is now 3 days old (pictured above with the rising dough) and doing very well. Make sure you start with a large glass bowl as this will need room to expand then after the 48 hours you can transfer it to a smaller glass container. (I bought one for $5 at Ross, they have great kitchen gadgets at great prices). Stir your starter 2 times a day, feed it once a week or replace ingredients after using some of the starter. If it begins to look flat, add a spoonful of sugar and stir it in. This starter is ready after sitting overnight, even better after 48 hours, but the longer you let it ferment the better the sourdough taste will be. Do not use any metal when making or stirring your starter.

Tomorrow we will use the starter in a recipe!

  "Creating smiles one recipe at a time!"  

1 comment:

  1. wow, looks good and I so wanted a slice with thick homemade butter on it and a cup of tea. Fun reading.

    ReplyDelete