Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sheri's Famous Chili

If you have ever been to my house for any length of time or multiple get togethers you have more than likely tasted this Chili. Usually it is in the form of Frito Pie** (which I found in PA they had not heard of "Frito what?"). So it was a lot of fun explaining and watching them come to love one of our families favorite dishes.

When it gets cold out, I start making chili. Usually, I make a large pot and then freeze leftovers in small containers for quick meals in the coming weeks. Lately I've had to do this because I was used to making large quantities to feed family, members of Youth & College Bible Studies at our home and I couldn't seem to make a small pot of chili! I'm getting better at this, well maybe. My son-in-law likes it when I make a lot of chili because he knows he'll get a few bowls for his lunches.

So, here is the recipe:
Click to enlarge recipe
The thickening is the key to this chili. I am not a fan of runny chili, in a large pot I have had to repeat the "thickening" process 2 or 3 times. It is a matter of preference.

Optional Variations: use ground turkey or pork; add beans - Black beans go really well in this chili; I have also made it without the smoked sausage & its good. Serve with Corn Bread or rice or see Frito Pie directions below. . .
Chili with wheat sourdough rolls
**Frito Pie - to make frito pie, make your chili and then as you plate or bowl it up place Frito's Corn Chips on the plate or in bottom of bowl; spoon chili over fritos, top with cheese, lettuce, onions & sour cream. Like you would top your tacos, whatever you like. Then enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment